Tuesday September 29, 2015
One of the best known songs from the movie “The Sound of Music” is one titled “My Favorite Things.” Today, I would like to share some of my favorite things in Christ. Unlike the song, they won’t include raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, but they are things I absolutely love nonetheless. Here they are:
1. To see gifts, abilities, and talents emerge from those children of God that not many knew they had. I love it even more when they use them for His honor and glory.
2. To see those who once had a bad reputation prove everybody wrong by living a completely different life in Christ. I relish at the thought of them shutting the mouths of those who used to accuse and belittle them in the past.
3. To see complete family units worshipping in church and even more so when they pray together at the altar.
4. To present and dedicate babies to the Lord in church. It thrills my heart just to think of the great start to their lives plus the belief that this will also make their parents more aware of their responsibilities and obligations to them, but especially to God.
5. To see God’s children loving and forgiving one another.
6. To see brethren mingle in church, talking, sharing, and laughing together long after the services are over. It makes me believe that my prayer to God long ago that our church always maintain a family atmosphere has been answered. Some pastors constantly seek more and more people to come to their church, while others wonder how they can get them to leave because they won’t go home. I love it!
7. To be able to greet people at the door before and after all services.
8. Some pastors don’t want to hear this, but I love it when we have seating problems in church and parking problems out on the lot.
9. To see people responding to the message and to see an altar filled with those who are praying as well as those who are praying for them and to see tears in many eyes.
10. To see the presence of God’s children everywhere, especially in unlikely places and see members of our families living for Jesus. I think John felt the same way when he wrote to a Christian lady he knew, “It has given me great joy to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as the Father commanded us.” (2 John 1:4) What are your favorite things?
Bible verse for the week: (1 John 3:19-20 KJV) “This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and He knows everything.”